She was a specialist in modern Language. She could speak French, German and Italian along with any of the countrymen. She was an excellent teacher of those languages and also taught English in the higher forms. She was ‘strict’, she tolerated to no nonsense in her classes and no one wanted to get on the rough side of her tongue. She wasted no time and came in the door saying, “We left off last day …” It was not well for those who weren’t moving fast enough to get their books out. I might add here that all the teachers came to the classes, only the science students and those going to the typing room moved at the end of the periods. Miss Faint would be over most of the years’ work a month or six weeks before the final exams. There would be ample time left for quite some time. Miss Faint was in Oshawa from January 1910 for quite [some time] until 1915; she went to Peterborough after leaving the school here.
Miss Cruickshank was a specialist in art and commercial. She was head of the Commercial department in the school and was very efficient. She kept good discipline also; she was firm and could be sarcastic. Owing to her unusual height, she seemed to tower above everybody. The commercial course then, was quite elementary and only took two years. There were no complicated gadgets in the offices. The equipment consisted of a typewriter, pens, pencils, maybe an inkstand and pencil sharpeners. Pitman’s Short Hand textbook was used.
Miss Cruikshank was not in the new High school very long. She resigned at Easter in 1912. She went from here to Western Ontario. Those who knew here in Oshawa were saddened, later, to hear that she had been killed in a motor accident.
Miss Armstrong is a specialist in French and Physical culture. She is the only one of the six teachers living today who was in the new high school in 1910 . Miss Armstrong’s home was in Taunton and she received her elementary education out there. She attended the high school on Centre Street here in the city. She also attended the Normal College in Hamilton on a first class certificate. She came to the new high school when it was opened in the fall of 1910. She taught French, English, Canadian History and Physical Culture. She has since retired and is residing here in Oshawa, at present.
Mr. Courtice was a specialist in mathematics and taught it in all of the forms. He was brought up in the district east of Oshawa, called Courtice which was named for his family. He knew his math well and had various ways of getting or trying to get difficult problems across to the students. He was a poor disciplinarian and many of the students took a delight in tormenting him. He seemed to take it all in a stride.
There was military drill of marching, calisthenics and dumb bell exercises. One of the last, named the anvil chorus was the most popular. To drop a dumb bell like thunder in the rooms underneath, this was quite well known to the class and there were quite a few “accidents”. A club rolling down the hall had the same effect.
After leaving the school here he went to Leamington where he was principal of the high school in that town for a number of years. When he retired he came back to Oshawa and lived here up to the time of his death.
*It seems there may be more to this section, but it cannot be found in the original manuscript.
Mr. Stevenson was born and brought up near Myrtle, Ontario. He educated himself by much hard work. He attended Victoria College in Belleville before it was amalgamated with Toronto University. He won three gold medals in one year which was an accomplishment. He was a specialist in science and mathematics.
Before coming to the High school in Oshawa, he was principal of the high school in Perth. During his teaching days here he was in charge of the science department. He was an excellent teacher and tolerated no nonsense in his classes. Those classes were not made any more pleasant for those who did not have their science notes in order.
There was no comparison between the courses in physics and chemistry then and the ones of today. On looking back they seemed rather simple, things we have now were unheard of then.
The following were a few of the items found in the science rooms. The equipment for the physics course consisted of the electric light, telephone; telegraph (key sounder and relay) these were hooked up with dry cells. There were also wet batteries, apparatus for teaching static electricity and light. Mr. Stevenson made some of the gadgets used in the classes, himself. The chemistry room was equipped with metal sinks and tungsten burners. The acids and other needed substances were provided by the school.
The students of the Botany classes were required to make collections of weed seeds, these were dried put in pill bottles and labelled. Leaves of deciduous trees, plants (weeds and wild flowers) were pressed and mounted. Collections of butterflies were also made. A nauseating job was to make a collection including tomato worms, spider, crickets and grasshoppers, caterpillars etc. and pickle them in a bottle of wood alcohol for winter use in the classes. Also the dissecting of certain animals in the zoology classes was not conducive to a good appetite. The pickled insects were fished out with a pair of forceps.
 It seems there may be more to this section, but it cannot be found in the original manuscript.
J.C. Adams: 1923 – 1926
He followed Mr. Althouse as principal of the high school. During this time it was found necessary to build an addition on the school. There were misgivings when it was found that twice the accommodation of the old eight room high school would be needed to properly take care of the collegiate pupils. The Board of Education insisted that the school was a necessity and they seemed the appropriation from the city council to proceed with the work.
Mr. Althouse followed Mr. Dolan [as principal in the [Oshawa] High School]. During the time he was here great impetus was given to athletic activities. Rugby was the favourite and has continued to be ever since. He excelled as an organizer and teacher. After he left the school in 1923 he became principal of the University of Toronto schools. After several years he was appointed Superintendent of Education for the province of Ontario.