The building of separate schools was at a standstill during the depression as was the case in the Protestant schools. In the spring of 1937, it was realized that there were many Catholic pupils in the south end of the city, and possibly a school should be built there.
Father Morrow explored the possibilities of a site for such a school and finally the property of Frederick Cowan on Simcoe Street South was purchased. This is now Holy Cross School which was officially opened in 1954.
The Cowan home was altered at the time to accommodate the students. The property has undergone many changes since then, owing to increases in attendance. The following alterations have been made: eight rooms were built on the back of the residence, next the residence itself was taken down and eight rooms were built on the same site.
Recently several classrooms have been added to bring the school to its present proportions. One major factor in the growth of Holy Cross School is the settling of immigrants from Poland and the Ukraine in the south end of the city.