Union School No. 6 was situated a short distance east of Harmony Road on Bloor Street. It had a comparatively short existence.
Before it was erected a number of the children in the district had a long distance to go to school, Harmony being the closest.
In the year 1923/1924, a plan was started to build a school that would be nearer the children’s homes. Messrs. Lloyd Gifford and Barton Mothersill went to Toronto to the Department of Education to obtain permission to organize a school section and erect the building.
A total of three acres of land was bought from Blake Cheselbrough in Lot No. 4 for the site. A small portion of this was in Durham County. In 1925, the school was complete at a total cost of $10 000 the building cost $6240. A water system was installed, the excellent supply being brought from a spring, nearby on the farm owned by Thomas Oke.
The school was [made] of red brick and the plan of it was somewhat unique. There were two outside doors and steps from them let up into the classroom. These were the entrances for the boys and girls. At the top of the steps, level with the classroom floor, were the cupboards which served as the cloak rooms. A two foot high platform was between the two stairs and it was closed in except at the front. It was approached on either side by steps and doors which opened out on to the platform.
The windows were quite low and the children could see out in the yard while seated at their desks. A large slate blackboard was at the back of the room and two portable ones were at the sides. The school was spacious enough to accommodate 35 pupils.
Miss Elizabeth Hancock was the first teacher in the school when it opened. The trustees at the time were Lyman Gifford, Norma Down and James Gammie.
About five years after the building was opened, the roof blew off in a heavy summer storm. It happened on a Saturday during the holidays, it was a lucky thing that no one was in the school at the time. There was a pile of bricks on the teacher’s desk. The roof landed on Mr. Arthur Pascoe’s property, he lived next door, and rested on the hydro and telephone wires. It made a wreck of his front veranda. The damage was repaired in time for school to start in September.
This school section took in the pupils from the town line and Lake Ontario, along Farewell Road and up to the Oshawa limits. Some of the families whose children attended were: Down, Drinkle, Brown and Farewell.
For the most part the school pursued a normal existence until it was closed in 1957. A small Baptist congregation held services in it until it was finally taken over by the Cerebral Palsy School in 1963.The children of the section are now attending Gertrude Colpus Public School and T.R. McEwen Senior Public School on Wilson Road South.