In 1879 the present school, “Community Hall’ now, was built of red and white brick. The one large room was later (in 1901) divided into two. This school was built when the older one became overcrowded. To mark this special occasion, the children marched from the old school to the new. A Mr. Sowerby is thought to be the first teacher. The blackboards were at first of wood, later changed to slate. The seats were all double and graded in size. The floors were of rough wood and the children often stubbed their toes on the big knots. It was heated by a big stove until 1901 when a furnace was put in the south room. Later, in the mid-1920’s, the cellar was excavated and the furnace put there. The land for this school was donated by Elgin Cooper.
By 1917, immediately south of the school, a non-denominational Sunday school was opened by Miss Laura Francis, one of the school teachers. School Christmas concerts, Scout meetings, box socials, etc., were held here. In the latter days of the school the junior grades were located in the basement of the Sunday school. This building is now the Alano Club.
In 1920, 2 ½ acres to the north of the school, 2 ½ acres were bought from George Robinson (husband of Muriel Cooper, daughter of Elgin Cooper) for recreational purposes.